Recipe Corner - Vicky’s Honey Bee Buns
The BeeHolder, Summer 2012
Those of you who want to do something a bit special for pool tea for the next meeting might like to take some inspiration from this recipe for some wonderful bee buns made by Vicky Farrington for a pool tea (back in 2009). Or come up with a bee related recipe of your own?
250g/9oz plain flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
125g/ 4 ½ oz butter, softened
125g/ 4 ½ oz soft brown sugar
1 large egg, separated
125g/ 4 ½ oz runny honey
4 tbsp milk
100g/4oz plain chocolate
1 small block golden marzipan
- Preheat oven to 200˚C/ 400˚F. Line bun tin with paper cases.
- Sift flour into large mixing bowl with cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk then gradually add honey.
- Fold in flour mixture and enough milk to give a dropping consistency.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff then fold into cake mixture.
- Divide mixture among paper cases and bake for 15-20 minutes or until firm and golden brown.
- Break the chocolate into pieces, place in a heatproof bowl and melt over a pan of hot water.
- To make the bees: roll small pieces of marzipan into bee body shapes. Make a piping bag from greaseproof paper and spoon in a small amount of melted chocolate. Pipe stripes and eyes onto the marzipan bees. Push a flaked almond in on either side to make wings.
- Spread the rest of the melted chocolate onto the buns using a wide-bladed or palette knife. Sit a bee on top and leave to set.
Apologies for reproducing the identical recipe as for October 2009 BeeHolder, but they are good!